All these years of blogging (ok, like three) and I have won something ya’ll! Well kind of…I was nominated by the sweet Jen Weaver for a Liebster award (Liebster is the German word for sweetheart). It’s a way for small bloggers to encourage community and promote other bloggers by “nominating” each other. No money or trophies needed. Thanks for the nomination Jen-you should all go check her out!
So here I get to answer some questions that, Jen has given me, and then pay it forward and nominate a few other wonderful blogs with some questions for them to answer and for you to read.
1. Why did you start blogging? The very idea of blogging made me nervous at first. What would people think when I opened up my thoughts to the wide,unknown world of the internet? I envisioned thousands of people being able to read my thoughts and it made me nervous. But there were so many people I admired that had wonderful blogs-witty, insightful, inspiring. Basically I wanted to be one of the cool kids. I dabbled in a few posts and hit publish. The big ol’ internet universe seemed vastly smaller. I looked to see how many had read my post…0. So I decided this wasn’t going to be so much about how many followers I had. I had to write about something that I cared about, something that I was going to keep doing even if no one was reading. I’ve always loved to write and felt it was something I was decent at, but there had to be a draw that was going to keep me coming back. So I started counting my gifts. It was shortly after Gracie was born and our church was working through Ann Voskamp’s, One Thousand Gifts. We were challenged to keep a gift list. I figured that if I kept my gift list on the internet and shared it with others, it would give me some sort of accountability. A few years later and I can say I have FINALLY logged my 1000, even though there are countless gifts I haven’t written down. I continue to blog with a few loyal followers and unscramble my thoughts-mostly about life, motherhood, and Jesus with a little bit of this and that thrown in.
A picture from one of my first blog posts…look at little Gracie and those BIG arm rolls!
2. What book are you reading (or wish you were reading) right now? Have ya’ll (I only ever say ya’ll on the internet, it just works!) ever heard of Book Bub? We have a kindle and it has been one of the best things we brought along to Uganda. It’s a little hard to pack a suitcase full of books, but so easy to pack a Kindle and load thousands of books on it. Book Bub shoots me a daily e-mail with kindle books that are on sale or free. Whenever I see a free one that looks interesting, I just load it on! Some recent books that I have read and loved both on and off the kindle, would have to be Make it Happen, Bread and Wine, and then a whole slew of 19th century christian fiction books with a western theme or Amish related fiction…I’m not going to apologize for those, they were free, but they were (mostly) good!
3. Who has been the biggest influence in your life? I would have to say my Mom, especially in my spiritual journey. Whenever I think back to when I was little, whether it was dealing with my many childhood fears, learning Amazing Grace, or praying for others at bedtime, I see my mom right beside me. She has helped mold the values I hold dear and has been a strong spiritual presence in my life growing up.
A pic from this Easter, half in and half out of our Sunday best…it was a bit chilly!
4. If you could have dinner with 3 people, dead or alive, who would they be and why? So this question was the hardest for me. I’m an introvert, so I think I would just be cool with having a few of my best friends or family members over to dinner. How about my husband and a couple good friends. Grandma and grandpa babysit the kids and we have a nice relaxing dinner, chatting, laughing, being all comfortable with one another. Sounds pretty good to me!
5. Baking or cooking? Baking. All the way baking. Baking is usually a little more forgiving for me since it involves sugar, chocolate or something else sweet. I can be a little off and it usually still turns out edible! I’m actually getting better at both since I’m doing more cooking and trying new recipes since moving to Uganda, but baking is kind of my thang. My husband would probably say I’m better at baking too…as long as I don’t make the healthy substitutes and ensure that I actually measure everything out correctly!
7. If you could have any job you wanted, what would it be? I think I’m doing it! The job of being a mom, being able to stay home with my kids. Serving the Lord here at home and also here in Africa. A job that is hard, but can also make a difference. My small (very small) business is a dream job for me as well. I’m learning as I go and want to grow, so I would love to see continued growth in that realm. I love being creative, being with my family, and mostly arranging my own schedule, so this it it folks!
The girls who gave me the profession I’ve always wanted and can’t imagine life without
8. What’s something you’re super excited about? We recently made the move to Uganda for a three year mission term, so that in itself is pretty exciting-and hard, but also exciting. I am pretty excited that Dustin’s sister, Jia, will be joining us here in Uganda for a year this August. We love Tia Jia and are so happy that she will get to have this amazing experience and spend more time with us!
Here’s our Tia Jia!
9. Current favorite song? It’s going to be one you guys never saw coming, you ready? I’m gonna hit you with some T-Swift. Shake It Off by Taylor Swift has been pretty popular in our household for awhile now. I think the reason I love it so much is because the whole family (yup, Dustin included) kind of goes crazy and we dance around in an absolutely ridiculous way. Thanks Tay, Tay!
10. What season is your favorite and why? Spring. At least Spring in Ohio that is. Sadly, there isn’t really a thing called Spring here in Uganda. While in some ways that’s nice because that means it never actually got cold, Spring in Ohio is a like a breath of fresh air for my soul! Dustin will tell you it’s kind of ridiculous how much I love Spring. Something deep down inside of me lights up at the thought of the beginning of flower buds, green grass, warm breezes and budding trees. New life is abundant and it is so good! Also, my birthday is in Spring. Case closed.
11. What is one thing you would you tell your 16-year-old self? Don’t worry about what everyone is thinking. I’m still telling my 27 year old self that! I’m a people pleaser through and through. I want you to like me. I don’t want to run into any conflict with you and I want us to agree on everything. Yup, people pleaser. I still have to remind myself that I’m not working to please all you people out there (sorry) but working to please the Lord. If I’m doing what is right and good in His eyes, then it doesn’t matter what you all think (sorry again). So 16-year old self, stop worrying what others think about you. Go do the thing you know is right. Go do the thing you want to do even if you might embarrass yourself or look ridiculous. Help the people you think you should help, because you will only regret not helping them. 27-year old self-go do these things too!
And now the moment you all have been waiting for…my nominations!
teressajane.com, sundaycharmblog.com, taraklefsaas.com/verdantblog
Check them out and follow them, you won’t be disappointed! Here are your questions ladies!
1. Why did you start blogging and how long have you been blogging?
2. What gets you fired up? What are you passionate about?
3. What is your dream vacation?
4. Favorite book of the Bible or Bible verse?
5. Favorite family tradition?
6. Best piece of life advice you’ve ever been given?
7. What are three words you would use to describe yourself?
8.Favorite meal to cook (or order if that’s your thing!) ? Feel free to leave the recipe for me… 😉
9. Current favorite song?
10. What are you reading or wish you were reading currently?
11. Favorite childhood memory?
Thanks for reading everyone! If you have any other random questions you’d like me to answer, feel free to leave them here. Happy Friday!